Friday, September 11, 2009

Peaches


I woke up this morning to find a beautiful picture of freshly canned peaches on my phone. It was sent to me from my daughter Sarah. Sarah works part-time, and is in a very active ministry with her husband. Sarah has always been able to do anything she decides to. She's never been afraid to try anything! She told me one of their pastor's wives brought them a box of peaches, and she was planning to can them. As she told me this, I got this terrible "twinge" in my gut... "uh oh... that's another thing I never taught my daughters to do". She then proceeded to tell me that another lady in her church had offered to teach her how to can.....another twinge. "Another mother is going to teach my daughter...??" Sudden feelings of inadequacy flooded my mind... "what must this other lady think? Sarah's mom didn't teach her how to can? What kind of mother is she??"

I have four incredible daughters. I mean that... incredible! Most people would have a hard time believing that, until they meet them. They have far surpassed my talents and abilities in every way. My other daughter, Leah, started her own business - a specialty baby boutique! She sews!! Her creativity not only astounds me, but everyone that sees her wonderful creations. You name it, she could make it! All while being a perfect wife and mother. "You must have taught her!".. you'd think. No, somehow I missed that opportunity as well. Don't get me wrong, I sew. I've sewn a lot... from the kids clothes when they were little, to quilts, when they were big, to countless bridesmaids dresses! But did I ever teach Leah to sew? I don't recall that I did. But that sure didn't stop her from learning!

My daughter, Rachel, my oldest - is now a mommy of three delightful kids! She has followed closest to my footsteps, as she's very involved in her husband's pastoral ministry, and very busy with her children. Yet she far surpassed me in many ways too. She holds a teaching degree - something I only dreamed of. She's also an incredible cook, beautiful singer, wonderful bible teacher, and a very creative homemaker.

Oh, no, the list hasn't stopped there! My baby, Bekah -(yes, the one who just left me) well, she is just beginning her adult adventure. You should hear her play the piano! Yes, I play... did I teach her? I remember listening to her pick out a new song we had just sung at church (when she was 4!), by ear. Shortly after that I showed her a simple way to use both hands to "make a chord". Now, she "makes chords" that I didn't know existed! All by ear... not from her mother's lessons.

Why am I writing all this? Well, partly because I'm always thinking about all this. But mostly because I am just amazed at how good God is to me! As a mother, my #1 goal was to teach my children about Jesus, lead them to the Lord at an early age, and raise them to love and serve God all the days of their life. That was my reason behind everything I did as a mother. The way I taught them to dress, to talk, to always include each other, to be discerning of evil... it's the reason I homeschooled. Well, in that goal - I succeeded! It was only later on, I thought, "uh oh... I'm their mom, and I didn't teach them to cook, or sew, or give them music lessons, or get them in sports..." the list in my mind goes on.

I am exceedingly proud of my daughters - they really are beautiful, multi-talented, fantastic women. But more than all of that, they love and serve God. In that, I take pleasure. And I trust that they did learn some things from their mom. But, I'm so grateful that they've learned more than I ever taught them, that God worked out ways that everyone of those "holes" and gaps that I left, were somehow filled. Even though they've left my nest, God is still their father, and I'm so pleased that they just keep on learning.

Good job on the peaches!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, that was sweet mom. I am glad I read the whole thing. :) I love you! And you pretty much taught me everything I know! I would have never stepped close to a sewing machine if it wasn't for your beaming confidence all growing up saying "I could make that." Now I find myself saying that very same thing! And guess what? We CAN! Woohoo for sewing! Love you.

    ReplyDelete