Saturday, September 12, 2009

Nesting

I'm not sure if I'm doing this "blogging" thing correctly. I've been told many times over the years to "keep a diay", or "journal", or just plain "write it down". This probably is not the right forum, but I have at least started something, so I guess this will be my venue for now.

A while back, my daughter Leah came to visit, and she had a wonderful "vision" of what we could do with my spare bedroom. Make it a sewing room. Leah's my crafty one, remember. So, she gave me this idea that she found, and used herself: get a long, old, wooden table, and cover it w/ some neat wrapping paper and modge podge it on. Then, use burlap, or other fabric, that shouldn't have to be hemmed, and staple a pleated skirt all away around the edge of the table. This would enable me to store things unseen, under the table. She then, of course suggested that I paint the room my favorite color - yellow, and then add red accents. It was decided! It would be so cute!

First problem I encountered was the lack of an old, wooden table. Sure you can buy those nice long plastic tables, but the staples wouldn't work too well on that... and it would defeat the purpose of the darling "redo". So, after long searches, and defeated ideas, my husband found an old door in our shed! Took off the hinges, and doorknob, bought folding table legs, and put them on! Voila! Then, after a failed attempt on mine and Leah's part of deco-podging the wrapping paper on top of the table... (much too wrinkly for my likes), we tore that off , and the table sat in my garage loaded down with boxes for over 2 months.

I had some great, fleeting, ideas of how to design the top of the table...paint? stencil? "quilt" with paper? old photos? Finally, I just bought some contact paper. Dark yellow, with yellow and red sunflowers. Sounds kind of country style, I know, but at this point I just wanted to get it done. I did stick with the original red and yellow motif! I cleared off the boxes, called my friend Ruth to come help me, and we successfully covered my table with the darling contact paper. I have a little more to go, but the green gingham pleated table skirt is almost all the way around now, too! I still need to paint the room yellow, but I've moved in my red shelf, and yellow rug... it's coming along nicely. I realized, it will be my little work station, as this wonderful table not only holds my sewing machine, but also the laptop!

I've changed the decor in my kitchen to highlight my liking for yellow. I shampooed the carpets, moved furniture, made a new "set" for the children's program, and started this silly blog! All these meaningless little changes apparently are the "norm" for empty nesters. I've got to remain busy with lots of projects, just to avoid the fact that I have empty rooms.

I still have one more room to change into a guest room. That'll be a project for another day. As Scarlet said in "Gone with the Wind": "I'll think about that tomorrow".

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog. I could say more, but that seems to cover every angle.

    ReplyDelete