Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother's Day 2010


Well, my week was looking dismal as Mother's Day approached. I was caught in waves of overwhelming sadness throughout the week. Between missing my mom, who passed away over 26 years ago, and missing all my children - who are grown and on their own - all while anticipating Mother's Day. This would be the first M-Day that I have not had one of my children with me. I tried to fight the tears, but I admit I was succumbing to the loneliness. So, I decided to just go to bed at 7 p.m. on Saturday night. Quite a boring life I lead, huh??

I laid there wondering why Bekah didn't call me when she got off work. 'Cuz as any good mom would know, I knew she had gotten off work several hours earlier. "My kids are just all too busy with their own lives to think of me..." I wallowed. Then the phone rang at a little past 9 p.m. Yes, my baby, Bekah came through. Trying not to sound too desperate for her call, I calmly asked how her day was, etc. She asked me if I was ready to give my annual "Mother's Day sermon", as I was trying to relate to her my hesitations about my message, the doorbell rang. "Oh no!" I exclaimed to her.. "I'm in my nightgown, in bed!" I jumped up and closed the door, as the 2 dogs were going crazy as they always do when someone is at the door. "Ah.. do you have to hang up, mom?" she asked. "No, I closed the door. Dad can deal with it." "What? It's too loud... the dogs are barking too loud.. I can't hear you, mom!". "No, honey, I closed the door, you can't hear the..." then it dawned on me "Bekah.. Bekah JoAnne! Where are you??" (As I could hear my 2 dogs over from the other end of the phone). I open my bedroom door, and there she stands! She and her friend had just driven 6 hours to surprise me.

Happy Mother's Day to me!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment